It’s essential for Allon Barsam to offer his patients
the most effective, safest and very latest technology.
Mr Barsam has published and presented many clinical studies on laser vision correction, cataract surgery and corneal surgery in high impact, peer review scientific journals. He has published over 30 papers and has presented on over 70 occasions at national and international meetings. He has published and presented research in all areas pertaining to his surgical expertise to ensure that he offers his patients the safest and very latest treatments available.
Allon Barsam has been invited to collaborate widely for his research and has collaborated with colleagues at St Thomas’ Hospital, The Western Eye Hospital, Moorfields Eye Hospital and New York University (NYU).
Mr Barsam has been carrying out a research thesis towards a Doctorate in Medicine on Corneal Ectasia and in particular Keratoconus over the last 9 years at the University of Cambridge.
Allon Barsam’s Research Highlights Include:
- Customisable LASIK flaps to prevent dry eye post-operatively.
- Publishing the largest and most significant review on treatment options (LASIK versus Phakic intraocular lenses) for people with moderate to high myopia (near/short sightedness).
- Innovative treatment options for patients with Keratoconus.
- Publishing a randomized controlled trial looking at the safety of 2 different techniques of cataract surgery.
- Technique adaptations for corneal transplant surgery.
- New solutions for patients with multifocal intraocular lenses.
- Publishing treatment options for patients with dry eye..
- Publishing new ways of carrying out advanced surface ablation (PRK/LASEK/epi-LASEK) treatment options.
Technologies we specialise in
This is all laser bladeless wavefront guided LASIK surgery using the Swiss made Zeimer LDV Crystalline Femtosecond Laser for flap creation and then the German made Wavelight Allegretto Excimer Laser. Both of these lasers are the fastest commercially available FDA approved lasers for LASIK. This technology combined with Mr Barsam’s expertise and experience generates fantastic results.
Allon Barsam was initially trained and experienced with a less advanced laser combination where using minor adjustments to the programming of the lasers as well as special surgical techniques he was able to generate very good results. He now continues to use these techniques with the new advanced Z-LASIK system which has meant that 100% of his patients achieve 20/20 vision with the vast majority of those achieving 20/15 or 20/12 vision post-operatively. In addition, he also uses the Allegretto for advanced surface ablation (LASEK, PRK, epi-LASEK) where it is indicated.
For patients who require reading vision he uses Z-LASIK to offer laser blended vision. The combination of world class surgeon and technology mean that he is able to safely treat prescriptions and conditions that most other laser vision surgeons cannot.
For patients who would like regular monofocal lens, he uses aspheric aberration free lenses.
LASER CATARACT SURGERY
He is presently one of only a handful of Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeons in the UK able to offer his patients the option of Laser Cataract Surgery.